Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Online interface times out when opening project

Online interface times out when opening project 11 Jan 2013 14:30 #6409

• dyoungers
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
I was wondering if there would be some way to extend the time out when opening a project? I have my project set to the maximum of 40 seconds and it's timing out.

I don't have cable or DSL available where I live, so I have to use a satellite service for "fast" internet access and this means it takes a little longer for AJAX transactions (lag time and all) so my project is timing out when I try to open it.

I have verified that the project opens using a faster internet connection (cable at my daughter's house) so the project is fine, it's just that I can't open it at my house (I'm self-empoyeed and work at home.)

Any temporary solution would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Online interface times out when opening project 17 Jan 2013 21:07 #6468

• JoomGuy
  • Joomla Enthusiast, Lover of Cooking
  • Thank you received: 195
Hi @dyoungers,

Just wondering whether you have found a solution to this?

Gez
Need help with your Cook/Joomla Project? . PM me to find out what I can help with. NO time wasters please!!!

Re: Online interface times out when opening project 17 Jan 2013 21:20 #6469

• dyoungers
  • Premium Member
no solution using my satellite internet ... at this point my workaround is to use my daughter's internet when I need to open that project either by using a Remote Desktop connection into the computer at her house or by going there in person, neither of which are convenient. Fortunately my other projects are smaller and the one that fails to load from my home office is pretty much finished.

While I get the reason for the 40 second maximum when running the builder interface, it seems that it might be good to either eliminate the maximum when opening a project (or at least setting it to a large number, i.e. a couple of minutes)

Thanks for asking!
Dave

Re: Online interface times out when opening project 17 Jan 2013 21:41 #6470

• JoomGuy
I was just having a look on good ole google for a workaround... Result: Endless and equally useless info ;(

Its funny you say RDP... I was going to suggest this. I'm a mac user so when I had to develop a small VB script for Windows, I had to dial into a mate's Vista machine to debug/test for a couple of days.

I used a free piece of software called TeamViewer which I have to say is astounding. Although I have a PC laptop, I needed to test in much older versions of office than I had. You can set a password on the remote machine to connect without an actual person at the other end. Also, I've never seen such clearly drawn screen in any other software.

Best of luck!

Gez

If you haven't tried it, its well worth a look.
Need help with your Cook/Joomla Project? . PM me to find out what I can help with. NO time wasters please!!!

Re: Online interface times out when opening project 18 Jan 2013 00:45 #6471

• dyoungers
  • Premium Member
I guess like minds think alike :)

I've had TeamViewer installed on my desktop for a couple of years because I do "tech support" for a number of family members (mom, dad, mother-in-law) and I also use it to access my computer when I'm on the road (either from my phone or tablet)

For dealing with this problem, I had a "server" set up at my daughter's house that is running ThinStuff because it supports multiple simultaneous users which allows her co-workers to be online at the same time and share data. As long as I'm the tech support person for her business I have access so that's what I've been using to get around the time-out problem with the builder interface.

Again, I think that if I could get the project opened from my home office over the satellite, I'd be able to work on the probject but because of the size, it just doesn't get loaded fast enough and thus my problem.

Thanks!
Dave
Last Edit: 18 Jan 2013 00:46 by dyoungers.

Re: Online interface times out when opening project 18 Jan 2013 08:22 #6472

• JoomGuy
No probs!

Well, I hope some fibre ISPs make it your way to you soon! ;) (and mine too)

G
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Get Started