Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [ADDED] Restrict delete

Feature Request 15 Oct 2013 16:49 #11395

• dyoungers
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
Not sure where I should post this but I have a rather selfish feature request because I have to fork the code in all my projects to do this, so I thought I'd ask :)
EDIT: Sorry, Now I see the New Functionalities forum topic ... can someone move this ... thanks!

1) I'm old school, having "grown up" with IBM DB2, and I really miss not being able to restrict deletes in Cook. While it is really nice to have the current options to cascade deletes or reset on deletes, there are a lot of cases where I can't allow users to delete referenced items for data integrity reasons. I know how to handle this in the code (as discussed here: restrict delete) using the fork system, i.e. fork admin/fork/classes/item.php to add an integrityRestrict method and then calling it from an item's delete method, but it should would be nice to just have this code generated automatically.

2) Related to that, and the other thing that I do quite often, is show the count of references to the foreign key field (much like the number of users in a group if you go to User Groups in the User Manager). I've been forking the model to add the appropriate nested "SELECT COUNT(*) ..." as another result field, but again, sure would be nice to just drop the option on the list or item views somehow

Again, nothing critical and I much prefer that existing bugs be fixed first but thought I'd throw this out there for when you are bored ;)

And while I'm at it ... I'd just like to thank you for this great tool!

For starters, it's just so easy to design an app in a way that I'm used to, i.e. database first, then views, followed by customization. The fork system is pure brilliance from a developer standpoint as I can override things and still add and update my projects with minimal effort! Truly amazing to be able to build components in Joomla using incremental refinement without having to do everything by hand.

Thanks for the great tool! I am so much more productive now than ever and I can't imagine building components any other way!!!! :woohoo:

Dave
Last Edit: 15 Oct 2013 16:52 by dyoungers. Reason: wrong forum
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Feature Request 16 Oct 2013 13:26 #11397

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Chef
  • Thank you received: 984
I understand for restrict delete. It is important.

About the roadmap, I can tell you something, it is gonna be a HIGHWAY strait to FoF.
If you want to get in, start to read the docs about it, because it will become the new way of coding for professionals. And also for big
applications.

The current (already 'old school') way will always stay available...
Coding is now a piece of cake

Feature Request 16 Oct 2013 17:04 #11403

• dyoungers
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
appreciate you understanding on restrict delete :)

and FoF ... can't wait!

Thanks!
Dave

Feature Request 06 Mar 2017 09:02 #15028

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Chef
  • Thank you received: 984
Coding is now a piece of cake
Last Edit: 06 Mar 2017 09:02 by admin.

Feature Request 07 Mar 2017 20:48 #15030

• Romkabouter
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 131
Really nice :)
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds

Get Started