Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :(

J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :( 11 Sep 2012 08:37 #3513

• Tomaselli
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 87
Hi Admin,
I think the custom coding inside a component is becoming too tricky on the j-cook V2.0

I don't know what to do, I'm thinking about how it could be solved to avoid to write the components in the old fashion way (by hand :-( ).

From this point of view the j-cook 1.0 was better than the 2.0.
I like the clean code and the new features of j-cook 2 but, for example, even do little modifications in the forms require to write the all form from scratch (or write weird conditional statements in the loop what will generate the form).

I'm also finding some not really happy solution to add new custom tasks to the controllers.

I'll think about the j-cook 2, I please everybody to share any suggestions or experiences in custom coding inside the j-cook v2 generated components.......this is the only way to improve the world :-) .
thanks for your attention.
Last Edit: 03 Oct 2012 13:42 by admin.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: admin

Re: J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :( 11 Sep 2012 10:10 #3514

• VeCrea
  • Platinum Member
  • Absolute JCook fan
  • Thank you received: 100
Isn't it possible to add an option that adds all the "old" format code using jdom etc between php comment marks, just to be able to use it in custom code?

I can't tell more as the component in want to install won't work, which is a first for me.

Jocelyn, we all know how much effort you put in v2.0. Keep faith, we're trying to improve, not destroy
Last Edit: 11 Sep 2012 10:10 by VeCrea.

Re: J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :( 11 Sep 2012 10:42 #3516

• Tomaselli
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 87
My words would try to be an comment to improve the j-cook, I think every j-cook user really understands and appreciates the effort of the ADMIN to improve j-cook.
At the moment I'm also stuck on my development, unfortunately due to the bugs of the v2 beta. I'm sure everything should be fine in a couple of days.

1) I think the form generated by j-cook v2 should be exploded instead of inside a loop. it doesn't change anything in performances but it changes a lot if someone needs to "hack" the form for own needs.

2) I would like have some directions about where my custom coded tasks would be better added on this new V2 MVC schema

thanks in advance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VeCrea

Re: J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :( 11 Sep 2012 10:52 #3517

• VeCrea
  • Platinum Member
  • Absolute JCook fan
+1

Re: J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :( 11 Sep 2012 19:50 #3524

• wildfire
+1

We also are having a hard time customizing our components with Version 2.0

We love j-cook.pro, but every component we build requires lots of customization to the views and models so the easier you can figure out how to make it so we can customize the database queries and customize the way the data is displayed, the better.

Re: J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :( 11 Sep 2012 22:28 #3530

• edwardcox
  • Premium Member
  • Here to help.
  • Thank you received: 26
At the risk of being Flamed to death here..

First of all, you are all awesome people, please remember that. ok?

Now, this is BETA 2.0, do not use Beta to try to create production Components, switch back to 1.5 and continue to build great Components and TEST in Beta 2.0. When the bugs are ironed out in 2.0 THEN switch across.

Hope you all understand what I'm saying in a friendly and community based tone of voice.

Kind Regards,

Edward.
Passionate Joomla! Developer and J-Cook pro evangelist.
www.jcombuilder.com - we build great Joomla!® Components so you don't have to.

Re: J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :( 12 Sep 2012 03:09 #3532

• VeCrea
  • Platinum Member
  • Absolute JCook fan
Hello mate,
I think that some of us have been around for quite a long time now, so there is no problem : we all can be honnest without being mad.
All the purpose of a beta IS to try to create production components, knowing there will be problems. We're just trying to see what differences v2.0 makes, and, as for now, it's just not ideal.
From my point of view, it's even more problematic : it seems that it doesn't work anymore, old or new version. Maybe something changed in the builder itself ? On a clean Joomla install, i can't create menu item for 1item views, ajax loading doesn't work, etc. And switching back doesn't solve it. That's for the old version.
As for the new version, the created code seems to slow us down, so we're trying to find ways to keep all the improvements that Jocelyn has made (and there are many improvements), and find a way to still be production-proof.
Some of us, like tomaselli, BT300, you and others have been there for months, trying to help Jocelyn improve its wonderful baby. That's just what we are trying to do right now. And once again, not being perfectly happy doens't mean being angry. We all know it's gonna come out right at some point.
Last Edit: 12 Sep 2012 03:12 by VeCrea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: admin, Tomaselli, edwardcox

Re: J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :( 12 Sep 2012 13:14 #3538

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Chef
  • Thank you received: 984
Thank you everybody.

Yes you are right and thank you for your supprt since the beginning.

I just came back from some personal occupations and it happens exactly in a moment wich the builder seems to ignore the view files, even in previous version. I will check it out very very soon. Before tonight for sure.

About the forms and the new version.
Exploding every single field was my idea, and I skipped it to release the beta faster, but don't worry, I will propose you 3 possibles ways :
- JForms in loop
- JForms exploded
- Simple JDom wich does the same (but XML form file will still be required for others form features)

About the new MVC :
You can understand how much work it has been to explore and read all the new MVC.
This standard has changed since the 11.1 Platform (Joomla core since 1.6)
Now with even Joomla 3.0, the Platform didn't seems to have changed, so this new MVC structure to learn is going to last for years.
Every one here should now learn the new concept, and I would like to help you understanding it.

Keep in mind that I had to do this consequent job for you, because at the end, you are coding in it, in a very similar way.
Every single piece of hack can be replaced in the same file in this new version.

I should write a doc on that...
Coding is now a piece of cake
The following user(s) said Thank You: VeCrea

Re: J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :( 12 Sep 2012 18:00 #3539

• VeCrea
  • Platinum Member
  • Absolute JCook fan
Dear Jocelyn,
View files are problematic only in 1item views, as far as i can see.
About the forms : perfect, i believe that's exactly the best of two worlds : strict jForms, or adaptive jForms for those willing to deeply adapt the code afterwards.
About the new MVC : those of use who have been around for a while will for sure take the time to understand the new mvc structure and the modifications of the code, in all their glory. And as usual, we will, i'm pretty sure of that, help the others with the knowledge we have, having you correct our mistakes or proposing other solutions.
If i can be of any help in writing the doc, let me know

Re: J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :( 12 Sep 2012 19:34 #3545

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Chef
I promise you to keep long this new MVC for a while because it is working good.
In future, for sure lot of things will be added, but not anymore removed.

It will now be possible to write a definitive documentation, because the code is much more close to the perfect Joomla standard. ... and I think Joomla is going to keep it long. (3.0 is almost only improving the user interface with 'bootstrap')

About the legacy old-school mode (Joomla 1.5 style), I think I will keep it for about 6 month, then bye bye. I remember you Joomla 1.5 died in April, and the components must use the new standards.

I think this beta version for 1 month before to release it, and before to think new functionalities.

Re: J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :( 12 Sep 2012 19:40 #3546

• VeCrea
  • Platinum Member
  • Absolute JCook fan
Nice.
Did you solve the 'views' issue you talked about earlier?

Re: J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :( 12 Sep 2012 20:36 #3550

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Chef
I think yes (around 21h00), can you give a try ?

Re: J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :( 13 Sep 2012 09:30 #3567

• VeCrea
  • Platinum Member
  • Absolute JCook fan
Still doesn't work perfectly for me... as soon as i try to link a menu item to the 1item view, it crashes... But now, if i am in collection view, and click the ADD button, then, yes, it works...
Last Edit: 13 Sep 2012 09:32 by VeCrea.

Re: J-cook V2.0 : tricky custom coding :( 13 Sep 2012 12:25 #3573

• VeCrea
  • Platinum Member
  • Absolute JCook fan
And i really think there is some kind of problem with ajax loading... Even on a fresh joomla install, it never loads cascaded fields that are ajax loaded
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds

Get Started